5 Slow Cooker Recipes That Make Easy Weeknight Meals
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
This mouthwatering chicken thigh recipe can be ready in no time! Simply toss all the ingredients into your slow cooker and you’re good to go.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (2 to 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, optional
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Chopped scallions and cooked white rice, for serving
- Coat the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and add the chicken thighs. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the honey, ketchup, soy sauce, oregano, pepper flakes, garlic and ginger and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is cooked through and tender, 5 to 6 hours. Turn off the heat, uncover and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving. The chicken and sauce can be served as-is or, for a thicker sauce, remove the chicken and set aside, covered, to keep warm, then turn the slow cooker to high. Stir the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water together until it resembles heavy cream. Pour the mixture into the sauce, cover and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling, about 30 minutes. (The mixture must come to a boil to activate the starch and thicken the sauce.) Return the chicken back to the sauce and heat the chicken through, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a platter, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and scallions and serve hot with rice.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Lettuce Wraps
Everything feels healthier and better once its wrapped in fresh lettuce. This is a quick go to dish that anyone can enjoy.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (optional)
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head bib lettuce
Recipe Originally Created By: Jennifer - Slow Cook Gourmet
Slow Cooker Turkey Tacos
If you are looking for a healthy slow cooker recipe, you have hit the jackpot with this one. Slow cooker turkey tacos are easy, healthy, and delicious.
- For the taco meat:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 pound 94% lean ground turkey (can also use 99% lean if you desire)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (can also use 1 large tomato, diced)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- Shredded lettuce, for topping
- Sliced jalapeno, for topping
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and place over medium high heat. Add onions and turkey. Brown the turkey, and break up the meat with a wooden spoon until nice and browned. Transfer to the slow cooker and add in garlic, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Once ready to serve, divide meat between 8 corn tortillas. Add grape tomatoes, cheese, diced avocado, lettuce and jalapeño slices. Serves 4. Optional to serve with greek yogurt, if desired.
Slow Cooker Jambalaya
This unique Slow Cooker Jambalaya, with chucks of chicken and andouille sausage and lots of shrimp, is a super flavorful one dish meal.
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound Andouille sausage or use kielbasa, cut into slices
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Recipe Originally Created By: Christin Mahrlig
Slow Cooker Mexican Quinoa Casserole
This one pan Mexican quinoa casserole is perfect for the slow cooker! You can throw it together in minutes and leave it alone, which makes it a great weeknight meal option. It’s so customizable, too, which makes it great for kids.
- 1 cup Quinoa, Uncooked
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 2/3 cup Reduced Sodium Chickpeas, Drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Black Beans, Drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Red Pepper, Chopped, about 1 large pepper
- 1 cup Roma Tomato, Chopped, about 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Onion, Roughly chopped, about 1/2 large onion
- 1/2 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- pinch of Black Pepper
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoons sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cups Reduced Sodium Vegetable Broth
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, For garnish
- Fresh Cilantro, For garnish
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking spray and place the uncooked quinoa, corn, chickpeas, black beans, red pepper, tomato, onion cumin powder, garlic, salt, pepper and adobe sauce inside, stirring until well combined.
- Pour in in the vegetable broth, stir well, and cover the pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Mine was perfect at 3 hours, so check it and make sure the quinoa isn’t burning.
- Once cooked, season to taste with additional salt and pepper and garnish with cheese and cilantro.
- Thomas Cox