- 2 small/med acorn squash cut in half lengthwise and seeds/strings scooped out
- 1 lb pork sausage casings removed - if necessary, sugar free
- 1 large onion cut in half and sliced thin
- 3 tbsp olive oil, or other cooking fat (for caramelizing the onions)
- 3 small apples cored and diced
- 1 tbsp Mealfit Seasoning, divided
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the 4 acorn squash halves (seeds removed) open-side down on the baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until the top of your squash feels tender when gently pressed. You can always check them and continue to roast a few more minutes if they aren't tender enough. Set aside after removing from oven.
- While the squash roasts, make the filling. Begin by caramelizing the onions
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over med heat and add all the onions, stirring to coat. Sprinkle with a large pinch of mealfit seasoning and cook over med heat, stirring to prevent burning. Once onions have been cooking for about 4 min, add the diced apples and cook another 5 min
- When apples and onions are soft take out of pan and put on a plate.
- In the same skillet, cook the sausage and stir to break up lumps, about 5-8 minutes until just browned
- Add the caramelized onions and apples to the sausage mixture, leaving excess cooking fat in the pan and mix for a min or 2
- Arrange the squash on the baking sheet and stuff the squash with the sausage mixture. Enjoy!