Southern Field Peas
- 1 pound Field Peas, shelled
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 whole small or medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth (or enough to cover the peas)
- 2 pinches of mealfit seasoning
- Rinse the fresh peas and let them drain in a colander for a moment.
- Add the chopped bacon, onion and garlic to a large pot.
- Cook until the bacon starts to render some fat and the onions are translucent.
- Add the peas and enough chicken broth to cover the peas. The water should be about 1/2 inch above the peas.
- Add your mealfit seasoning and bring the peas to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the peas are tender but still just a tiny bit firm. This should take about an hour to an hour and a half. When the peas are done place in a serving bowl and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Thomas Cox