Flavorful Thanksgiving Side Dishes
It's thanksgiving, a time for family, food, and fun. When thinking of thanksgiving you may just think of the turkey, or maybe a pumpkin pie. However, what really makes a meal is it's sides. Thanksgiving side dishes are what brings everything together. Here are two mouthwatering side dishes that are perfect for thanksgiving, or any holiday gathering.
You can never go wrong with potatoes. These potatoes are cheesy, creamy, and easy to make. They're the perfect side dish for your thanksgiving meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 6-7 small potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1+1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- fresh chives, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a shallow baking dish and set aside.
- Dice the potatoes. Place them in the buttered dish. Combine the milk and cream in a bowl. Add the flour, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk. Pour over potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and and bake for another 20-30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle on the chives and serve immediately.
This super easy recipe is sweet and savory. The squash is topped with cranberries and feta, which enrich the flavor. The colors and flavors are the epitome of fall, perfect for thanksgiving. Definitely a must try!
- 3 lb large butternut squash (peeled + chopped)
- 1-2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- 1-2 cups fresh cranberries (add a little, or a lot!)
- 2-3 TBSP honey plus extra to taste
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta
- ground cinnamon to taste
- fresh or dried parsley to garnish, optional
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Lightly drizzle or spritz a baking sheet with olive oil.
Add cubed squash to the sheet along with another drizzle of olive oil.
Sprinkle with a light layer of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, based on taste preference.
Roast at 400 F for 25 minutes on the center rack.
At the 25 minute mark, pull out the oven rack, and add your fresh cranberries to the roasting pan.
Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cranberries have started to soften and burst a bit, resembling really juicy craisins vs fresh firm cranberries.
Remove from oven and add a sprinkle of cinnamon (approx. 1/8-1/4 tsp depending on preference) along with feta and honey. I listed the honey measurements I used, but depending on whether you used fresh cranberries or dried, sweeten to taste.
Garnish with parsley for a burst of color and dig in while it's hot!
- Aesymmetric Soft LLC Collaborator