With winter setting in, there is nothing better than a warm, hearty dish to cozy up with. This Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta is the perfect balance of creamy goodness that the whole family is sure to love. Indulge in this decadent dish this season!
Here is what you’ll need:
- ½ pound penne pasta about 2 ½ cups dry (half of a 1-pound box)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-sized chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or all milk/cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup freshly shredded Mozzarella
- ½ cup fresh basil pesto or more, to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- Boil pasta to al dente according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add minced garlic, Italian seasoning and diced chicken breast. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, stirring the chicken throughout to brown on all sides. Transfer chicken to a plate and discard any liquid in the skillet.
- Return skillet to the stove over medium heat and melt butter. Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth and half & half. Bring to a boil. If it begins to boil too rapidly, turn the heat down a little. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in pesto and cheeses. Add the pasta and chicken and stir. Make sure all pasta is fully coated. Garnish with fresh chopped basil and fresh cracked black pepper.
A few optional add-ins for garnish: fresh spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, yellow squash, mushrooms, or cherry tomatoes.
If you try out the Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta, please let us know your experience! We know you will love it just as much as we do!
Leave a comment