Grilled Zucchini Pizza
Ingredients for Dough
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup plain unsweetened vegan yogurt
- About 2 tbsp vegetable oil, for brushing
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- A splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 large zucchini, cut into ¼" rounds
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 tbsp vegan pesto
- Balsamic glaze
- To make the pizza dough, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the yogurt. Mix with a spatula until a dough comes together. It will look dry at first but resist the urge to add liquid.
- Flour a clean surface and roll the dough out with a rolling pin until ¼" thick. Transfer the rolled dough to a baking sheet (just for holding) and brush one side with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- In a medium or large skillet, heat about 2 tsp of vegetable oil over medium heat and caramelize the sliced onions. Turn the heat down to low after the onions begin to get brown. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar when the onions are all soft and cook until a bit jammy. Remove caramelized onions from the pan and heat another 1 tsp of vegetable oil.
- Add the corn kernels and cook over medium-high heat until they get charred. Season with a bit of salt and black pepper and remove from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the zucchini rounds with a good drizzle of vegetable oil (just enough to coat them), salt, and pepper.
- Heat a barbecue grill over high heat to about 400°F. Once hot, grill the zucchini rounds so that grill marks appear on both sides. Remove zucchini from the grill and then grill the pizza dough.
- Place the oiled side of the rolled dough onto the grill. Brush the top with vegetable oil and cook until the bottom side has grill marks and the top is bubbling but not set, about one or two minutes. Flip the dough and cook until the other side also has grill marks, about another minute or two more. Remove the dough from the grill.
- Spread the top of the pizza dough with pesto then scatter the caramelized onion and charred corn over the top. Arrange grilled zucchini and sliced cherry tomatoes on top. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and serve while hot.
- For a non Vegan option - Add our MealfIt Smoked Chicken to the top of your pizza
- Thomas Cox