What's better than a cast-iron skillet full of fluffy warm cornbread? This delicious Jalapeño Cornbread has just the right amount of kick from the jalapeños and all of the cheesy goodness you'll love. It is super easy to make and can be served alone or along side your favorite meals. The possibilities are endless and this will quickly be made on repeat in your home once you've tried it!
Here is how to do it:
- 1/2 cup - corn oil, plus more for baking dish
- 1 1/4 cups - fine yellow cornmeal, plus more for baking dish
- 1 1/2 cups - whole milk
- 1 can (14.75 oz) - cream-style corn
- 3 - large eggs
- 3/4 tsp - baking soda
- 2 tsp - salt
- 8 cups - shredded cheddar cheese, or your favorite cheese
- 2 cups - shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup - chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup - sliced pickled jalapeños, drained
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly brush your cast iron pan with oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal to coat, tapping out excess. Bake until cornmeal has darkened in color slightly and gives off a toasty aroma. (3 to 4 minutes) Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, milk, corn, eggs, baking soda, and salt. Stir in cornmeal to combine. Pour half of batter into bottom of dish. Sprinkle with cheese, chicken, cilantro, and jalapeños. Top with remaining batter (it will be just enough to cover). Bake until golden brown. (50 - 60 minutes)
- Let cool at least 15 minutes, then serve with salsa and more cilantro.
- TIP: To test to see if your cornbread is cooked through, poke a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it's ready!