Don't know what to do with your leftover rotisserie chicken? Chances are, you have a box of jiffy corn muffin mix hiding in the back of your pantry. This chicken tamale pie recipe is great for rounding up leftover ingredients and making something delicious for dinner.
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1/2 c. sour cream
1 large egg
1/2 c. corn kernels (canned, fresh, or frozen)
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. taco seasoning
2 c. cooked shredded chicken
3/4 c. enchilada sauce, divided
1 c. shredded cheddar
1 c. shredded Monterey jack
Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400o and grease a large ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, sour cream, egg, corn, and melted butter. Pour into prepared skillet and bake until golden, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add taco seasoning and season with salt. Add chicken and 1⁄2 cup enchilada sauce and stir until combined.
- Poke holes all over cornbread with the bottom of a wooden spoon. Pour remaining 1⁄4 cup enchilada sauce over poked holes and top with chicken mixture.
- Top with both cheeses and bake 20 minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.