- 1 medium eggplant or 1/2 large, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 medium zucchini quartered lengthwise and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 8 ounces grape tomatoes
- 16 ounces Cooked Pasta
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives optional, pitted and sliced
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts optional
- 3/4 cup Fat Free Vinaigrette
Preheat oven to 425F. Arrange eggplant and zucchini on a non-stick baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle the chopped onion over them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the head of garlic in a corner of the baking sheet, and place in the oven. Stir after 15 minutes and add the bell pepper, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Cook until mushrooms have softened and tomatoes are beginning to collapse, about 10 more minutes. Remove from oven, reserve the head of garlic, and place the other vegetables in a very large serving bowl. (If your oven is small, see the Notes below.)
After the vegetables are done cooking, add pasta to vegetables, along with chickpeas and olives, if desired.
Make the dressing: Place the basil in a food processor. Squeeze out 4-6 cloves of roasted garlic (or however many you like) and add it to the food processor, along with walnuts if you’re using them. Pulse 6-8 times to chop the walnuts. Add the vinaigrette and process until smooth. Add dressing to pasta and vegetables, stir well, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at warm, at room temperature, or chilled.