A grilled cheese sandwich is an All-American classic.
Who knew that it could get even better?
If you’re a fan of grilled cheese, you know how they are the absolute perfect comfort meal. They are incredibly easy and taste perfect every time, so what is not to love? Your taste buds may have changed over the years and you may not find yourself gravitating toward that traditional gooey sandwich from your childhood much anymore. Luckily, we’ve found the perfect recipes to add a refined twist to traditional grilled cheese, fuel your nostalgia, and become some of your new favorite recipes!
Delicious Gourmet Grilled Cheese
The first variation does not stray far from its inspiration, but instead, marries aged cheeses such as Camembert and sharp cheddar with the fresh crisp of sourdough bread. Topped with thyme, lemon zest, and a unique addition of sliced apple, this recipe is like nothing you’ve ever tried before while still being the amazing grilled cheese you know and love!
- 4 1/2-inch slices fresh sourdough bread
- 6 thin slices Camembert cheese
- 6 thin slices sharp, aged cheddar
- 4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 of an apple
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Cut sourdough bread into four 1/2-inch slices.
- Top two slices of sourdough with sliced Camembert cheese. Next, sprinkle the thyme, lemon zest, and ground pepper over the Camembert slices.
- Cut apple into thin slices and arrange them over the camembert.
- On the other two slices of sourdough, add the slices of cheddar cheese. Carefully close the sandwich, placing the apple sides over the cheddar sides, and press together with your hands.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with avocado oil spray (or other cooking oil, as desired).
- Place the cheddar side of the sandwiches onto the skillet. Cook for several minutes, pressing down with spatula occasionally, until cheese begins to melt and the underside of the bread is golden brown.
- Spray the top sides of the sandwiches, and carefully flip with a spatula. Cook on this side for another few minutes until the underside is golden brown.
- Feel free to flip sandwiches a couple more times to ensure even cooking. Once the cheese has melted, remove from the pan and place onto a cutting board.
- Carefully slice the sandwiches in half with a serrated knife, and serve immediately!
Tomato, Bacon, and Everything Grilled Cheese
If you’re looking for a grilled cheese sandwich with a bit more grit, this one is perfect for you! This grilled cheese pairs hearty, crispy bacon with an array of fresh herbs and aged cheeses pack with flavor. This sandwich’s flavor explodes with the use of everything bagel seasoning that is sure to leave your taste buds wanting more!
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2-4 tablespoons everything bagel spice (recipe in notes)
- 2-4 slices cooked crispy bacon
- Arrange the tomatoes on a cutting board and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let sit 15 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- In a bowl, combine the cheddar, Havarti, basil, thyme, and chives.
- Brush the outside of each slice of bread with butter. Sprinkle the parmesan and everything spice over both buttered sides of the bread, pressing the spice mix gently into the bread to adhere. On the inside of half of the slices of bread, evenly layer half of the cheese mix, the tomatoes, bacon, and the remaining cheese. Add the top piece of bread.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side. EAT and ENJOY!
Make Eating Easier with Mealfit’s Homemade Sourdough Bread
Mealfit strives to make eating easier for you in everything we do. Whether its crafting up delicious, pre-made meals to suit your busy lifestyle, or its just sharing our favorite recipes we’ve come across recently, we hope to meet all of your meal-related needs! If you’re interested in trying either of these mouthwatering grilled cheese recipes, let us make it even easier for you! With our Made-From-Scratch Sourdough Bread, you can bring your sandwiches to the next level of flavor!
“Made from scratch sourdough bread that is made from a bread starter that is 25 years old. This bread is not made with yeast. This bread is made from a starter that has been passed down for over 25 years. The Recipe and technique was taught to me by 2 of my mentors from Tennessee. This recipe and starter has been used over the years to bring warmth and comfort to people all over the south. Use it on a sandwich, for French toast, or to eat as a compliment to any meal. This is literally the best sourdough bread you will ever taste.”
You can order it, here!
We hope you enjoy these artisan grilled cheese recipes. If you tried it, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the