2022 is just around the corner…
What better way to welcome the new year than with some great food and fun?
Whether you’re hosting your own holiday party with friends, family, and loved ones to ring in the new year together, or you're keeping things simple with a quiet celebration at home, having some delicious food is the staple for any memorable event!
Get ready to stay up for midnight with these ‘midnight snack’ inspired appetizers!
The older we get, the harder it is to stay up for the big moment every year. If you are looking forward to the end of the year countdown and are looking for some tasty motivation, these appetizers are the perfect addition to your new year party!
Image by Gimme Some Oven
Loaded Jalapeño Poppers
Crispy, oven baked jalapeño poppers with gooey cheddar cheese, hearty bacon bits, and topped with fresh cilantro and even breadcrumbs for that perfect crunch!
Image and recipe originally by Gimme Some Oven
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 18-20 poppers
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise and cored
- Begin by preheating the oven to 375°F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, place the bacon over medium heat and allow to sauté until crispy. Once it is finished, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess fat, and drain the skillet of the grease until about 1 Tablespoon remains. Once the bacon has cooled completely, chop to create bacon crumbles.
- Add the Panko crumbs to the grease reserved in the skillet and sauté the breadcrumbs for 2-3 minutes. Be sure to stir frequently to avoid burning and remove from heat once the breadcrumbs have reached a golden brown color. Place in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, cilantro, chives, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and most of the chopped bacon, leaving about 2 Tablespoons for use later. Stir until the mixture is evenly combined, then transfer the mixture to a ziploc bag. Seal the bag and cut off one of the bottom corners of the bag to create a piping bag.
- Slice the jalapeños length-wise, removing the cores and the seeds, and place the halves in an even layer on the baking sheet. Pipe the mixture into the jalapeños until they are all evenly filled, then top each with a sprinkle of Panko.
- Bake the jalapeños until the filling is melted and the jalapeños have slightly softened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire cooling rack. Top the jalapeños with a pinch of the reserved bacon bits plus some extra chives, serve, and enjoy!
Image by Every Last Bite
Bacon Wrapped Brussel Sprouts with Honey Mustard Glaze
Tender, smoky brussel sprouts wrapped in savory bacon glazed with sweet and tangy dijon mustard. Plus, these tasty bites are dairy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, and even paleo-friendly!
Image and recipe originally by Every Last Bite
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 30
Total Time: 45
Yield: 8 servings
- 28 small brussel sprouts
- 14 slices bacon
- 2 1/2 Tablespoon dijon mustard, divided
- 3 Tablespoon honey (or maple syrup), divided
- 2 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400°F and place a wire rack onto a baking tray.
- To prepare the glaze, whisk ½ Tablespoon of the dijon mustard and 1 Tablespoon of the honey together in a bowl until smooth.
- Prep the brussel sprouts by washing them and cutting off any of the tough outer leaves.
- Wrap a strip of uncooked bacon around each brussel sprout, ensuring that it slightly overlaps, and cut off any excess bacon. One strip of bacon should be enough for 2 brussel sprouts. (If need be, you can secure the bacon to the brussel sprouts using a toothpick). Then, place the bacon wrapped brussel sprouts on the wire rack.
- Brush each of the brussel sprouts with the dijon glaze and place the tray in the oven to bake. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and the brussel sprouts are tender. Half way through baking, remove from the oven and brush with more glaze before continuing to bake.
- While they are baking, whisk the remaining dijon mustard, honey, mayonnaise, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl to make the dip.
- Once the brussel sprouts are fully cooked, remove from the oven and brush with a final layer of the glaze if any remains. Serve with the dipping sauce and enjoy!
Image by Spend with Pennies
Homemade Pizza Rolls
A savory cousin to the tried-and-true cinnamon rolls, these homemade pizza rolls are the perfect appetizer for a late night event!
Image and recipe originally by Spend with Pennies
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 20
Total Time: 35
Yield: 12 rolls
- 1 pound pizza dough or 1 can refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoon fresh parsley, plus some for garnish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- ⅔ cup mini pepperoni or chopped pepperoni
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400°F and roll out the pizza dough into a 16" x 14" square.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of parsley, and ½ cup of pizza sauce. Use a spoon or a ladle to spread the mixed sauce over the raw pizza dough.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella, ⅓ cup of parmesan cheese, and the mini pepperoni over the dough. Once the ingredients are placed, roll the dough as if you were making cinnamon rolls (length-wise).
- Cut the roll into 12 slices and place in greased muffin tins upright.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese over the rolls and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Allow the rolls to cool for at least 5 minutes and serve with remaining pizza sauce for dipping!
These late-night snack inspired appetizers are perfect for keeping everyone occupied until midnight to watch the ball drop at your New Year's party this year!
We hope you enjoy this article for 3 Irresistible New Year’s Eve Appetizers. If you tried incorporating these things into your regular routine, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the Pound.