Image by Avarie Cooks
Sometimes, we could all go for some delicious takeout.
You don’t have to make a special trip out for your favorite takeout dish anymore! With this recipe, you can enjoy Cashew Chicken from the comfort of your own home!
This Midwest classic isn’t as difficult to achieve as it seems! In fact, all you’ll need is a few ingredients, a little bit of time, and an empty stomach to enjoy this dish to the fullest extent! Combine the distinct flavors of stir-fried veggies, breaded and tender chicken breast, and savory cashews for a classic night-in!
Image and recipe originally by Avarie Cooks
Homemade Springfield Cashew Chicken
Did you know that Cashew Chicken originated in Springfield, Missouri? In fact, Leong’s, the birthplace of the sweet and savory dish, is still open for business today! This familiar favorite loses authenticity as it moves away from its birthplace, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy all the flavors this dish has to offer! This recipe features ingredients that keep the magic that makes Cashew Chicken so delicious! Here’s how to make it:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup edamame, shelled and frozen
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 cup unsalted dry-roasted cashews, whole
- ¾-1 cup green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Asian chili garlic sauce
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- Combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, and diced chicken to a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. Shake until chicken is coated evenly.
- Prepare oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is ready, pan fry the chicken for about 4-5 minutes, flipping frequently to cook evenly. You’ll want the chicken to be cooked about 90% through.
- Then, add the broccoli, bell peppers, edamame (still frozen), garlic, to the skillet with the chicken and stir to combine. Cook mixture on medium-high heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and the chicken is completely cooked through
- While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, prepare the sauce. Mix soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, chili-garlic sauce, and ginger in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Add the cashews to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to combine. Allow sauce to simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green onions, stir to combine, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Make it Even Better with Mealfit!
Here at Mealfit, we go out of our way to find new ways of making tasty and healthy food more accessible to the people in our community. We want to make eating easier for everyone, which is why we design our delicious Weekly Specials, our one-of-a-kind Individual Meals, and why we search for healthy and scrumptious recipes to make at home like this one! We also offer our Meals by the Pound Selection to make meal-prepping a breeze!
After finding this recipe, we knew the perfect pairing to make this Cashew Chicken a beloved meal!
Mealfit’s Jasmine Rice
What better side to serve alongside some delectable Cashew Chicken than some sweet Jasmine Rice?
“Hands Down the best rice you will ever eat. Also, keeps in the fridge for a week. Goes great with everything. Seasoned to perfection and good enough to eat alone. Order more than you think It will go, fast.”
You can order it here!
With this recipe, there’s no need to go out in order to get some great takeout. Explore your skills in the kitchen and savor this delicious dish from home!
We hope you enjoy this article for Better than Takeout Cashew Chicken. If you tried incorporating these things into your regular routine, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the Pound.