Image by Gimme Some Oven
Winter is the perfect season to get cozy with some great food and good company.
This savory soup is the perfect dish to share with loved ones over the holiday break!
Whether you’re expecting company as the holidays creep closer or you just want to make the most of the time you have with your loved ones, having something warm and delicious to sip on is guaranteed to calm everyone’s nerves. For some, a nice cup of hot cocoa may do the trick, but for the times where a sweet and chocolaty beverage isn’t as appetizing, a savory soup is the perfect alternative!
Shake up your holiday routine with this creamy tortellini soup for Christmas dinner, or serve this cozy dish in the days of holiday limbo to celebrate the moments you get to share with those around you before welcoming the new year!
Image and recipe originally by Gimme Some Oven
Creamy Tortellini Soup
Savor the flavorful medley of tangy cheese filled tortellini, meaty Italian sausage, and a blend of garden veggies in a creamy chicken broth! It’s the perfect pick-me-up for these winter months!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1.25 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 5 ounces greens*
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
*Depending on your preference, you can use spinach, collards, or kale, or even a mixture of them!
- Prepare the Italian sausage in a large stockpot over medium-high heat until it has browned and begins to crumble. Reserve two Tablespoons of the grease in the pan, discard the rest, and transfer the sausage to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, stir in the diced onions and carrots and saute them for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent while stirring occasionally.
- Add in the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour until it’s evenly coating the veggies, and cook for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually begin to add in the chicken stock, and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to reach a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked sausage, tortellini, spinach, and milk, and allow the mixture to continue simmering for 4-5 minutes, or until the tortellini is al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Make it a Meal with Mealfit!
Mealfit is dedicated to making eating easier, whether it’s with our weekly specials, our individual meals, or even our educational blog! Even in the recipes we share in our recipe catalog, we strive to find healthier and easier preparation options such as using our Meals by the Pound selection of ingredients and sides! We have some recommendations that we think would make this dish a complete meal!
Mealfit’s Sweet Potatoes
“Diced and house seasoned Sweet potatoes are a great carb source and can be used in a number of ways in your meal prep. Paleo Friendly!”
You can order it here!
Mealfit’s Vegetable Medley
“A mix of Squash and Zucchini and any other seasonal Vegetables that might be available at the time.”
You can order it here!
We hope you enjoy this article for Creamy Tortellini Soup Perfect for Winter. If you tried incorporating these things into your regular routine, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the Pound.