Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
With the right recipe, breakfast can be something to look forward to!
Sometimes, making breakfast can be such a stressful part of the day. Especially if it’s a busier week than normal, or if there’s more people to feed than usual, breakfast can be a chore or an inconvenience. No one should have to start off their day with that much negativity, which is where Mealfit comes in! We take it upon ourselves to search the internet and find the best recipes to share with you! This week, we stumbled on a recipe we could not wait to try. Spoil yourself with this minimal-effort breakfast casserole that will make your mornings so much brighter!
Image by Tastes of Lizzy T
Cheesy Sourdough and Egg Breakfast Casserole
Who doesn’t love a homemade breakfast casserole? This recipe features the delicious and hearty combination of cheddar cheese and turkey sausage alongside the unique taste of sourdough bread for a one-of-a-kind dish! The best part about casseroles is how easy they are to make. For this recipe, you prepare the bulk of it the night before and cook it in the morning. While you’re waiting for it to cook, dedicate the morning to yourself! Use the extra time to prepare yourself for the day ahead and in no time you’ll be enjoying this amazing breakfast casserole! It’s especially perfect for anyone hosting more people than usual or to wow everyone at the potluck. You can easily tweak this recipe to fit your custom tastes and personality, so don’t be afraid of making it your own!
Image by Tastes of Lizzy T
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Yield: 15 servings
- 8-10 slices large of sourdough bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 pound turkey sausage, crumbled and cooked
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 large eggs
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
The Night Before
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Lay bread cubes in the baking dish in an even layer, then sprinkle browned turkey sausage over the bread layer. Top the sausage with a layer of shredded cheese.
- In a medium-size bowl, crack the eggs and beat until yolks and whites are mixed well. Stir in milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese.
- Cover the casserole with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
The Morning Of
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the casserole, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the middle of the casserole is puffed and set.
- Cut into squares and serve warm, enjoy!
Make this recipe even easier!
Mealfit strives to make eating easier for you in everything we do. Whether it's crafting up delicious, pre-made meals to suit your busy lifestyle, or just sharing our favorite recipes we’ve come across recently, we hope to meet all of your meal-related needs! If you’re interested in trying this recipe, let us make it even easier for you! Cut down on your cook time with some quality pre-cooked meat! With our delicious ground turkey, you can bring your breakfast casserole to the next level of flavor!
“Ground to perfection and seasoned with our own seasoning. This Is a protein choice that you can use with just about any dish in the house. Most versatile protein on the menu.”
If you’re interested, you can order it here!
We hope you enjoy this article for a Stress-Free Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole. If you tried incorporating these things into your regular routine, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the Pound.