Summer features some of the freshest and most delicious flavors ever.
If only there were a way to enjoy them all year round...
Oh wait...there is! You can pickle your favorite vegetables easily and keep the taste of summer with you all year long! It doesn’t take much effort, thankfully, and we’ve found a Mealfit-approved method of making eating easier with these pickled veggies!
Like we said, it’s not as hard as it may seem to get expertly pickled veggies. Plus, they sport a ton of bright and lovely colors to bring not only amazing flavor but a touch of aesthetic to your home! With this method, you can be enjoying your very own homemade pickled veggies the same day, but we recommend aging them for at least a few days for an ideal texture! Don’t forget to throw in some of your favorite flavorings and seasonings to shake up the flavors a little more!
Image by Crowded Kitchen
Making a Brine
The brine is what makes this process so efficient. You want to find the best ingredients that produce the best flavors for your veggies, which isn’t as easy as it sounds. Vinegar is one of the main components and each type produces a different effect of the flavor! White vinegar is a go-to as a versatile brine, it has the least impact on the ingredients and can be used with any vegetable! If you’re into experimenting with flavors, opt for any combinations of apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, champagne vinegar, or even a thinned-balsamic! The brine is what helps to preserve your ingredients and their flavors, so having a reliable brine recipe is key! Our advice? Stick to a brine with a ⅔ : ⅓ ratio of vinegar to water with a hint of sugar to minimize the acidity of your pickled veggies.
Image by Crowded Kitchen
This is the part where you get to experiment as much as you want! You can pickle pretty much anything if you set your mind to it, but especially any kind of vegetables! The key to pickling vegetables is getting them into the right shape to be preserved. Typically, the smaller and thinner the better. It absorbs the brine much more easily, making them more flavorful and more well-preserved.
How to Pickle Veggies at Home
Now that we’ve gone over the basics, try it out yourself! We’re featuring a delicious recipe that’s the perfect summertime addition to your salads, sandwiches, and more! With the 4th of July weekend coming up, why not try this recipe out for the best BBQ spread of the year!
Image by How Sweet Eats
We think this particular combo would be perfect for an afternoon with these tasty Bahn Mi Tacos, but the best part about pickled veggies is their versatility! Though we do mention some specific veggies in this recipe, you change and adapt it to fit whatever flavors you like best!
Image by Peas and Crayons
Homemade Pickled Veggie Garnish
- 2/3 cup vinegar (whichever you prefer)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded radish
- 1/3 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Wash and dry a medium-large mason jar.
- If you’re not using pre-shredded carrots and radish, slice into matchsticks along with your cucumber.
- Bring water and vinegar to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add green onion, garlic, sea salt, oregano, and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves and remove from heat. Allow the pot to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the veggies in your mason jar and slowly pour the hot vinegar mixture over the veggies. If you’d like to enjoy them slightly al dente, feel free to let the liquid cool even more before adding it to the jar.
- Allow your jar to cool to room temperature then slap on the lid and pop in the fridge. That’s it!
- They can be enjoyed that very day and will be a bit more slaw-like and al dente at first. The longer these tasty veggies sit in the fridge the more flavors will intensify and the more they’ll soften up too!
We hope you enjoy this article about The BEST Way to Pickle Vegetables This Summer! If you tried incorporating these things into your regular routine, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the Pound.
Leave a comment