There’s nothing as delicious as an authentic Mexican meal. The fresh ingredients and flavors make such a delicious cuisine, it’s irresistible!
With Cinco de Mayo coming up, it’s the perfect time to try out some new recipes!
One of the best things about the weather getting warmer is that a lot of fruits and vegetables start to become more accessible. Spring and summer bring produce that is absolutely bursting with flavor, no matter how it’s prepared! Mexican cuisine utilizes a lot of these fresh ingredients and produces some exquisite flavors that can be hard to replicate. This Cinco de Mayo, why not explore some of these flavors with these amazing recipes that bring the holiday right to you! These delicious carne asada street tacos, pickled onions, and street corn recipes are sure to inspire your festive spirit so that you can appreciate Mexican culture in a whole new way!
Image by Mom’s Dish
Carne Asada Street Tacos
Talk about fresh ingredients! This recipe blends the fresh and zesty flavors of lime, cilantro, avocado, and more with savory carne asada for that perfect street-taco taste! It takes less than an hour to prepare, but maybe you’re looking to save some of that time for other things. Not to worry! We’ve got a helpful tip on how to cut down the total time for this recipe just below, so be sure to check it out!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 lb beef Flank or Skirt Steak
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 medium orange
- 2 small limes
- 4 green onions
- 2 avocados mashed
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 limes garnish
- Place the Flank Steak in a large plastic storage bag. Add soy sauce, orange slices and lime juice. Chop green onions and cilantro and add them into the bag. Rub the seasoning all over the beef. Seal the bag and let it marinate for at least 6 hours.
- Remove the meat from the marinade. Pat dry with a paper towel. Remove all excess herbs from the carne asada. Grill the carne asada until the internal temperature reaches medium-rare at 145 °F.
- Hot tip: Don’t have a grill? Snag a grill pan and make carne asada right on your stove top.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes. Slice it against the grain and cut it into bite-sized strips.
- Spoon mashed avocado onto a tortilla. Top it off with a couple of strips of carne asada.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and onion. Sprinkle with cotija cheese. Right before serving, squeeze some lime juice over the top.
- Serve with your favorite salsa.
Mealfit’s Slow Smoked Tri-Tip Steak
We know how stressful life can be at times, which means cooking may not be the most relaxing pastime for a lot of people. Or maybe you just don’t have an hour to try to prepare meals, anyway! That’s where we come in! Mealfit’s mission is to make your life easier by doing the work for you. One of the ways we do that is by offering ingredients in bulk with our Meals by the Pound options. For this recipe, we recommend using our deliciously slow smoked tri-tip steak that’s already cooked to perfection for you! Here’s what we had to say about it:
“Slow Smoked Tri-Tip Steak, marinated and seasoned to perfection. This goes good with just about anything.”
If you’re interested in seeing the other ingredient options we provide, be sure to check out our selection here!
Image by Montana Happy
Pickled Red Onions
Who knew pickled onions could add such a tasty element to a variety of meals? The best part is, they're so easy to prepare at home! All you’ll need is 7 simple ingredients and you can be topping your dishes with this tangy-sweet excellency in no time! And they are a great addition to the street taco recipe we provided as well!
Image by Delish
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 medium red onions
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey (you can substitute sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- Peel the red onions. Slice the onions thinly and transfer onions to a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl over the sliced onions. Let the onions soak in the boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain the onions in a colander.
- Let the onions sit in the colander while you mix the marinade. Combine all the ingredients of the marinade in a medium-sized bowl and stir well.
- Add the onions to the marinade mixture and let them sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer the red onions with the marinade to jars with tight-fitting lids.
- Chill the pickled red onions in the refrigerator until very cold.
Image by Isabel Eats
Homemade Street Corn
The perfect side dish for this meal has got to be a generous serving of some scrumptious homemade street corn. The mix of creamy, tangy, cheesy flavors is the perfect way to balance out the savory street tacos without compromising the overall taste of the meal! It’s so delicious that you’ll be making this recipe all the time because it is sure to become a familiar favorite in no time!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut off the cob (about 4 med ears of corn)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (seeds removed if you don't want it spicy)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- chili powder, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter, fresh corn kernels, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, cotija cheese, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and lime juice. Mix until fully combined. Taste and season with more salt and mayonnaise if desired.
- Garnish with chili powder to your liking, a lime wedge, and a sprinkle cotija cheese.
- Serve immediately.
This Cinco de Mayo, why not explore your flavor palette with these delicious recipes for the perfect meal? It’s got all the major meal components made with crispy and fresh ingredients, so you know these recipes will knock your socks off with how flavorful and irresistible they are! Hopefully, the taste of these dishes will inspire you to explore your knowledge of Mexican heritage too, for this Cinco de Mayo if you’re not already familiar. It’s a very colorful culture with a rich history that can be enjoyed for much more than its food, so take the time to learn about it while you savor every bite of this delectable meal!
We hope you enjoy these recipes for an Unforgettable Mexican- Inspired Meal for Cinco de Mayo. If you tried it, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the Pound.