Image by The Chunky Chef
Sometimes, dinner can be pretty stressful.
Let us make eating easier for you!
After a long day of work, no one is particularly thrilled about having to dedicate a lot of time and energy to preparing healthy meals at home, which is what inspires many to opt for takeout or fast food. Although it can be manageable sometimes, doing that on a regular basis can be detrimental to your health! Luckily, Mealfit is dedicated to helping everyone that lives a busy lifestyle eat tastier and healthier food in a sustainable and affordable way! It’s why we created our weekly specials, our Meals by the Pound selection, and even why we share health related tips in our weekly educational blog! We also are always on the search for healthy, stress-free recipes that taste amazing to share with you every week for our recipe catalogue, and this week is no exception!
We’ve found the perfect recipe for dinner, one with plenty of protein, fiber, and flavor to get you through whatever you may be facing at the moment!
Image and recipe originally by The Chunky Chef
Hearty Chicken and Dirty Rice Dinner
This recipe features roasted chicken, andouille, and flavor-packed rice to warm you up this fall! The best part, all of the ingredients are cooked in a single pan making preparation and clean-up a dream! Here’s how to make this recipe:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
For the Marinade
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
For the Chicken and Rice
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 link of andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4" slices
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry, long-grain rice
- 2 1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add chicken thighs to the mixture and turn to coat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add drizzle of olive oil to a dutch oven and heat on the stove over medium-high heat. Brown andouille sausage on both sides, then transfer sausage to a plate.
- Next, add chicken thighs (skin side down) and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, to develop a nice crispy skin.
- Transfer chicken to the plate with the sausage and use a paper towel to wipe out any black bits from the pan. (Brown bits and pan drippings are good to leave in though).
- Lower heat to medium-low and add in chopped onion, jalapeno and celery. Saute for about 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add cayenne, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper and stir.
- Add rice and chicken stock, give it a stir, and let simmer for 1 minute.
- Nestle chicken thighs and sausage on top of the rice (pour in the juices that are left on the plate as well). Return to a simmer, then cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, covered.
- Remove cover and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed into the rice.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and minced parsley!
This recipe is the perfect way to end a weekday with a smile on your face! We recommend you serve this dish with some fresh, steamed, or roasted vegetables, such as our seasoned broccoli or our vegetable medley!
We hope you enjoy this article for One Pan Hearty Chicken and Dirty Rice Dinner. If you tried incorporating these things into your regular routine, make sure to let us know! For more recipes, follow us on social media and make sure to check out our weekly blog posts where we share our new favorite recipes and must-know facts about food and living a healthy lifestyle! Check out the other meal options Mealfit provides such as our Weekly Specials, Individual Meals, and other Meals by the Pound.